Liability Insurance


Public and Products Liability provides protection against your legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to their property.

Employers Liability is a legal requirement and provides protection against damages and legal costs that arise as a result of claims from employees suffering an injury or disease due to, and during their employment.

An Employee is anyone who:

  • Is under a contract of service or apprenticeship with You
  • Borrowed by or hired to You
  • A labour master or supplied by a labour master
  • Labour only sub contractors
  • Self employed – when supplying labour only to You
  • Under a work experience or training scheme
  • A volunteer working under your control in connection with the Business
  • An outworker or homeworker when engaged in work on your behalf


Chalkwell Insurance Services have a number of products and facilities available for the self employed whether a sole trader, partnership or limited company. We can arrange suitable policies for a variety of trades and occupations and can cater for multiple occupations under a single policy with discounts for no claims or losses.

We can quote for in excess of 400 different trades from the traditional Building and Allied Trades to a wide range of administrative and professional trades including Teaching/Training, Private Tuition, Hairdressers and Beauticians, Consultants, Dog walkers, Cleaning Contractors, Domestic Help, Care Workers, Taxi and Minibus drivers, Driving Instructors and many more.

Our policies have a number of features and benefits which can be tailored to suit your individual needs and requirements. Some of the features and optional extensions available are:

  • Cover for Tools and Business Equipment
  • Temporary employees extension
  • Bodily injury to working partners
  • No claim Discounts
  • Introductory discounts available at new business
  • Commercial Legal Expenses
  • Treatment risk automatically included for applicable trades such as Hairdressers, Beauticians etc
  • Personal Accident
  • Legal advice

Various levels of cover available from £1,000,000 with premiums starting from as low as £50 you cannot afford not to be insured.

Liability insurance designed for Cleaning Contractors – all cleaning trades considered with cover available for loss of keys, cover for property being worked upon, treatment risk, use of customers equipment . For window cleaners discounted rates apply where water fed pole systems used.

Chalkwell Insurance Services have a number of facilities available for HIGH RISK trades with wide policy wording. Those trades traditionally classed as High Risk include Roofing contractors, Scaffolding contractors, Groundworkers, Plant Hire contractors, Sheet Metal Workers, Waste collection, but this list is not exhaustive and we would encourage you to talk to us to discuss your requirements.


Cover available for contract works, own and hired in plant, tools and temporary buildings. This cover is available as an extension to a Public and Employers Liability policy or as a standalone policy.


Excess of loss Public & Products Liability and/or Employers Liability provides top up cover in excess of that provided by the primary insurance policy. Most primary policies will provide cover up to an indemnity limit of say £2,000,000 or £5,000,000 but you may need cover up to £10,000,000 for a specific contract. This is where the Excess of Loss policy fits to provide the extra cover required in addition to the primary policy.


We can arrange insurance for Hired in Plant as well as your Own Plant. Competitive rates which are usually more cost effective than paying the Hire Company charges.

Event Insurance

Individual policies available for most events – cover available for both organisers and those participating in an event.

The types of Event we can cover are – Weddings, Exhibitions, Conferences, Street Parties, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs, school fetes, garden fetes, village fetes and many more. Annual policies available for those needing cover for multiple events and also policies for one off events. Various levels of cover to choose from.


Cover for companies, contractors or individuals who need to work ‘airside’ including taxiways, runways, terminals and other buildings where access is restricted.

Cover can be arranged for short term single contracts or for annual policies.


Cover for Directors of small and medium sized businesses and Residents Management Associations.

This provides cover for Directors against ‘wrongful acts’, actions they might be sued for because of their duty as Directors including past, present and future actions.

Residents Management Associations are vulnerable as they often make important decisions on behalf of other residents which can result in being held personally liable leading to possible fines, damages or criminal prosecutions if things go wrong.


What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance protects a business, practice or consultancy against financial loss resulting from its legal liability to third parties arising from errors or omissions committed in the professional conduct of its business.

Those occupations traditionally regarded as ‘professional’ were Accountants, Solicitors, Architects and other similar professions but these days generally anyone who provides advice or services for a fee owes a duty of care to their clients and stands the risk of a professional indemnity claim.

We can provide cover for a wide range of occupations including:

  • Accountants
  • Surveyors
  • Management consultants
  • Computer consultants
  • Loss assessors
  • Loss adjusters
  • Website designers
  • Media consultants
  • Architects
  • Engineers
  • Property managers
  • Project managers

This list is not exhaustive as we can cater for most occupations and can tailor cover to meet your needs giving you the confidence you need when providing advice to your clients.